Saturday, February 5, 2011

Joy

I awoke this Saturday morning to the most beautiful sound. As I opened my eyes I heard a little voice from the kitchen saying "mommy", then a second later, "mommy....mom....mommmmmy".

Then the voice of my husband, "mommy is sleeping. You can see mommy when she wakes up."

Then I heard another tiny voice from the nursery babbling "maa maa ma...ma maa".

I lay in bed a minute or two listening to the voices of my dear sweet boys calling for their mother. As I listened, my heart overflowed with joy. These two percious little boys look to ME as their mother. They love ME despite my weaknesses. Despite the fact that I have often lost my temper, have spoken harshly and have misunderstood their needs. Yet they love me perfectly and unconditionally. I couldn't ask for more.

I offered a silent prayer to my Father in Heaven thanking him, once again, for my boys. It was a beautiful moment. Moments like these are few and fleeting but they are what makes all the hard moments worth it. There is nothing outside of my marriage that has brought me more joy then my children.

I must add that being a mother has been one of the hardest things I have ever done. There are many difficult and lonely moments. However, the joy I have felt as a mother is far deeper than anything I have ever before experienced. It has been, and continues to be, one of the most rewarding and wonderful journeys I have yet experienced. "Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." -Lin Yu-tang

3 comments:

Jamie said...

That is so precious!! I echo your words!!!!

4 barkers said...

I fully understand and also echo your words!

Melanie said...

Beautifully written Marcie. You are an amazing mother and your boys (and Jared!) and so lucky to have you! I love and miss you!