Sunday, April 22, 2012

The BEST Banana Bread

Our family has been trying to eat as many whole foods as possible and we are trying to avoid sugars, oils, and too much animal protine. With that said, it has been hard to satisfy my sweet tooth. I really wanted to find a good, healthy, but tastey dessert recipie. I found a keeper tonight! This recipie has no white sugar, no eggs, and no oil. It was so delicious and so healthy...I just HAD to share. This will be a new family staple in our house!


Healthy Whole Wheat Banana Bread 
Yields 1 loaf

Ingredient List

1/3 cup sugar free applesauce
1/2 cup local, raw honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tsp baking soda DISSOLVED in 1/4 cup hot water


Optional:
1/2 cup whole oats
1/8 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 cup walnuts
1/3 cup dried fruit
Note: This recipe is super moist, almost to the point of being a bread pudding. Adding the oats and ground flaxseed absorb some of the moisture. The bread has always turned out moist, even when adding oats or flaxseed.

Directions:

(1) Preheat oven to 325.
(2) Prepare a loaf pan, either with butter, or with a Baker's Joy type of pan-preparant. (is that a word?)
(3) In a large bowl, beat applesauce and honey together.
(4) Add bananas, salt, cinnamon. Mix well.
(5) Add whole wheat flour and baking soda mixture. Mix well, scraping sides of bowl.
(6) Add any optional ingredients.
(4) Bake for about 50-60 minutes. Check at 50 minutes, then if needed, bake 5-10 more minutes. My cooking time varies with how "big" the bananas are.

2 comments:

Trapper and Suzy said...

This sounds really yummy! I love banana bread, so I can't wait to make this! Unfortunately, I'll have to wait til we get back to Provo.

Anonymous said...

Made this last night! Very yummy and moist! Thanks for the recipe :)